Friday, 29 April 2016
Thursday, 28 April 2016
Wednesday, 27 April 2016
Check internet speed using cmd pings to default gateway
- You can check your internet connection speed by sending ping packets to your default gateway.
- To know your default gateway, you can use ipconfig /all command. Once you get the IP address of your default gateway, start running a continuous ping by typing ping -t <your default gateway address>. The time field value will show you the time taken to get an acknowledgement from the gateway.
- Lower time value is an indication that your network is faster. However, running a lot of pings consume network bandwidth as well as your default gateway resources. Though the data packets for ping are very negligible in size and you might not observe any change in internet speed but it does consume bandwidth.
IP release and renew
- Well, If you are using a WiFi connection, in the case of IP release and renew, you may experience a temporary speed boost, depending on the strength of the WiFi signal. However, in the case of LAN, it won’t affect speed.
Flushdns to Speed up internet using cmd
- Our computer maintains a list of the websites and their corresponding IP addresses that we access the most in the DNS resolver cache. Sometimes, these data become obsolete after months or weeks. So when we flush our DNS resolver cache, we actually flush out the obsolete data and make new entries in the DNS resolver cache table.
Speed up internet using cmd ‘Netsh int tcp’command:
netsh int tcp set globalautotuninglevel=normal
- Type this command in your command prompt window and observe carefully:
This command will set your TCP receive window to Normal from the disabled or restricted state. TCP receive window is one of the key factors in the internet download speed. Thus making the TCP receive window to ‘Normal’ will surely help you in increasing your internet speed.
After this command, let’s check for another parameter of Windows in terms of the slow internet connection called ‘Windows scaling heuristics’. To check for this parameter, type
netsh interface tcp show heuristics